World Water Week 2020
ACWFS participates in World Water Week 2020 hosted in Sweden to report on the SIDS project
09/08/2020 | 3:53 PM
On August 24th, Dr. Ben Sonneveld of the ACWFS and Dr. Amani Alfarra of the FAO presented the FAO forthcoming report titled "Sustainable management and use of fresh water resources for food security and nutrition in small island developing states" as keynote speakers at the 2020 World Water Week event hosted in Sweden. Afterwards, Robert Brears, founder of "Our Future Water" presented his research "SIDS and cities- two sides of the same circular economy coin". Following the presentations, three panellists, one from each of the SIDS regions (AIMS, Caribbean, and Pacific) answered the main questions of the event:
1. Can the lessons learned on water management from individual islands be expanded to other SIDS countries?
2. Does the proximity of actors in bounded SIDS landscapes benefit the involvement of relevant stakeholders in increasing water use efficiency?
3. How can the international community support SIDS to cope with climate change?
4. How can agricultural water management on the SIDS contribute to an improved FNS situation?
5. What important elements should be involved in a Road Map for improved water use efficiency on SIDS?
Read more about the event or watch the full session recording here.